832 E Main St #3
At any store, you’ll find shelves of skin-related products boasting claims of having formulas for sensitive skin. How do you know if this is the right product for you? Many people suffer from sensitive skin but chalk their skin conditions up to the dry, winter weather. Here are a few signs that might alert you to having sensitive skin:
- Dry skin. Most sensitive skin conditions have elements of dry skin or dry patches that flare up in cold, windy, or dry weather. Left alone, skin may develop acne or become cracked.
- Redness. Skin that easily flushes red or pink in cold or heat may be a sign of damage to protective skin layers. Other common causes of redness are irritants and health conditions like rosacea.
- Rashes and bumps. Sensitive skin often reacts to irritants by developing frequent rashes and/or tiny red bumps. These may also become itchy.
- Visible blood vessels. Broken capillaries on the nose and cheeks often occur when protective layers of skin have been damaged.
- Frequent breakouts. Dry or damaged skin will often create additional oil to try to repair itself, but without a good cleansing routine, that oil can easily clog pores and lead to breakouts.
What should you do if you have sensitive skin?
First, choose high-quality skincare products. Because sensitive skin is typically a result of underlying damage to the layers of the skin, the product you place on your skin will penetrate those layers more easily. Most big box store products are cheaply made and contain ingredients that will irritate skin no matter what special formulation they claim to be. For example, avoid over-the-counter products that have parabens, sodium lauryl sulfates, synthetic dyes and fragrances, propylene glycol, and phthalates.
High-quality skin care products are made of healthier, organic ingredients naturally resulting in less skin irritation. Choose products containing soothing ingredients that won’t irritate your skin such as glycerin.
Second, select products designed especially for sensitive skin. These products typically have ingredients like chamomile or aloe vera to calm skin. Eminence Organic’s Calm Skin Chamomile Moisturizer contains both chamomile and arnica to soothe and balance the appearance of skin. With a moisturizing base composed of Shea butter and calendula oil, your skin will feel soft and luxurious.
Would you like advice on the best skincare products for your skin type?
Come visit us at Organic Elements Spa. Our professional staff will provide you with an individual consultation to review your unique skin type and recommend products for your specific needs. We look forward to helping you look and feel your absolute best!