Along with that beautiful glow of pregnancy come sore muscles, swollen joints, and exhaustion. Regular massages provide many benefits to rejuvenate the body, spirit, and mind, and prenatal massage is no exception. Getting a prenatal massage from a professional during maternity will help you have a more comfortable pregnancy and prepare you for motherhood.
Maternity massage (or prenatal massage) is performed with a few modifications for body positioning to keep both mother and baby safe. We recommend you discuss prenatal massage with your healthcare professional first to make sure it is a healthy choice for you during your pregnancy.
Benefits of maternity massages:
- Relieves pain. During pregnancy, you are likely limiting your intake of prescription and over-the-counter medications to relieve pain. At the same time, sciatic nerve pain is familiar to many women in late therapy as the uterus rests on muscles of the pelvic floor and lower back. Massage is a natural alternative to relieve pain and alleviate other discomforts related to pregnancy by increasing blood flow to reduce muscle tension.
- Reduces swelling. It is usual for your feet, legs, ankles, and hands to well during pregnancy. The additional weight from carrying a baby combined with moving muscles and bones often causes reduced circulation and increased pressure on blood vessels, resulting in this swelling, called edema. A proper massage will stimulate tissue and help move the fluid to reduce swelling.
- Improves sleep. After the massage, the nervous system is more relaxed and releases hormones to promote restful sleep. Flexible muscles and reduced pain will also help you get a better night’s rest.
- Improves mental strength. The American Pregnancy Association cites studies showing that hormone levels associated with relaxation and stress significantly reduce when maternity massage is used as part of prenatal care, leading to mood regulation and improved cardiovascular health.
- Prepare your body for childbirth. People who experience less muscle pain, tension, and swelling are more likely to be active, leading to better muscle tone and overall stronger health. Maternity massage helps to make sure you are at your best during your entire pregnancy.
Schedule your maternity massage at Organic Elements Spa.
Our professional team at Organic Elements Spa offers a wide range of massage therapies, including 60-minute and 90-minute maternity massages. We use Eminence Organic Skin Care in all of our treatments, so you can rest assured only the best, quality products are being applied during your session.
Make your visit to the spa more luxurious and relaxing with a visit to the Oasis Lounge before or after your service. The Oasis Lounge includes showers, an infrared sauna, a steam room, a cold plunge, and our Himalayan salt room. When added to a massage package, the Oasis Lounge is only $10 per hour.
Each mother experiences pregnancy differently. To ensure your and your baby’s safety, consult with your healthcare professional before your visit to make sure all the services you participate in are healthy for you during pregnancy.