Dry skin: it’s increasingly common for people to feel their skin lacks proper hydration. A number of factors can impact the health of our skin such as:
- Cool and dry temperatures create dry air which, in turn, zaps moisture from your skin,
- Home heating systems that dehumidify the air leading to dry skin,
- Over the counter soaps and detergents containing chemicals that strip away moisture, and
- Hot baths and showers damaging skin’s layers–leaving it feeling dry and tight.
Of course, dry skin often exhibits traditional symptoms such as being red, itchy, flaky, or feeling rough to the touch. However, dry skin can actually feel oilier as the skin overproduces oil to alleviate the dryness.
Before you address your skin care routine, take some time to assess your environment. Here are a couple of tips to give your hydration efforts a good foundation:
- Avoid the temptation to take a hot shower and choose lukewarm instead. You’ll feel an enormous difference on your skin when you shower with slightly cooler water. The same rules apply for cleansing your face—use water that is not too hot and not too cold.
- Use a humidifier. Adding moisture to your air will make your skin, eyes, and lungs feel better. There are a number of types available such as warm mist, cool mist, and steam vaporizers so perform a little research first to decide what type is best for you.
- Monitor your sodium and water intake. Eating salt isn’t inherently bad for your skin, but ingesting high amounts of sodium combined with low amounts of water will draw moisture from your body and skin. Be sure to drink extra water with your favorite salty foods or snacks.
If your skin is feeling dry or flaky, here’s a simple 4-step skin care routine to help make it feel nourished and refreshed:
- Use a gentle cleanser to wash your face each morning and evening. Avoid using the bar of soap in your shower to wash your face. Instead, choose a gentle, oil-based cleanser. This will help remove dirt and makeup without stripping your skin of moisture. Eminence Organic’s Stone Crop Cleansing Oil is infused with moisturizing sunflower and jojoba oils to leave your skin feeling soft and exhibiting a dewy complexion.
- Then, use a toner to balance moisture and pH levels. Unlike the alcohol-based toners of the 80’s and 90’s, today’s toners contain gentle ingredients that condition and nourish your skin. A spritz or two of Eminence Organic’s Stone Crop Hydrating Mist will hydrate, heal, and nourish uneven skin tones while supplying the skin with carotenoids and Vitamin C.
- Next, apply a serum or oil concentrate. Choose a product with fatty acids and anti-inflammatory ingredients. Eminence Organic’s Camellia Glow Solid Face Oil contains oleic fatty acids as well as vitamins A, B, D, E, and Omega-3 to rejuvenate the skin and reduce the appearance of aging.
- Finally, moisturize your skin. Select a quality moisturizer containing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, shea butter, or lactic acid. Eminence Organic’s Red Currant Protective Moisturizer with SPF 30 is a good option for daytime wear to protect the skin against harmful UV rays while also nourishing the skin with antioxidants.
It’s important for you to choose your skin care products wisely. Avoid products and cosmetics containing chemicals and ingredients that are known to be harsh on your skin like parabens, petrolatum, mineral oils, propylene glycol or sodium lauryl sulfate. At Organic Elements Spa, our Eminence Organic Skin Care line meets all these qualifications and more. Shopping is easy online or by visiting our location in Medford. Stop by or give us a call to learn which products are best for you.